Hymenoplasty Surgery People have often been linked to breaking the hymen as proof of virginity. If bleeding occurs after first sexual intercourse, that is proof that the woman never had sex before. But the studies show that there is no positive correlation between the hymen and virginity.
Hymenoplasty is also called hymen reconstruction surgery or hymenorrhaphy. The hymen is a membrane located 1 to 1.5 cm deep in the vagina. The hymen is a tissue that includes the vagina and after the first intercourse, masturbation, or oral activity, could be torn or broken. After the bleeding might be seen but it is not an obligation. This is irreversible without surgery, but this process is not having to be seen every woman in the same way. Because the hymen could be elastic and not be torn or broken. To determine it, a specialist’s examination is a must. Hymenoplasty is the temporary operation of the hymen.
What is hymenoplasty surgery?
Hymenoplasty surgery provides to reconstitute a hymen that is torn or broken during intercourse, masturbation, or oral activity. If a woman thinks that was a mistake, she wishes to reverse, hymenoplasty provides that. Additionally, the hymen could have some signs in various cultures like the representation of virginity. And because of the social pressures and concerns, some woman wants to reconstruct it back.
How is hymenoplasty surgery performed?
There 3 types of performing the hymenoplasty surgery which are:
- Basic Technique: This is the common technique and if there are hymen residues, it can be reattached by this technique. It is performed under local or general anesthesia to prevent the pain that will occur during the operation. The surgeon will sew the remains of the hymen. This operation takes 30-40 minutes.
- Alloplant Technique: If the remains of hymen couldn’t be sewn by basic technique, this technique is used. By this technique, the surgeon will append a biomaterial, and this will replace the hymen. This process takes 2 hours and performs under general anesthesia.
- Hymen reconstruction: In this procedure, the surgeon will create a new hymen by using tissue from the lip of the vagina, but this method will require you to avoid intercourse for at least three months.
Who can have hymenoplasty surgery?
Before the hymenoplasty surgery, you should check that you’re suitable for this operation. If you;
- damaged your hymen because of sexual intercourses or other activities like biking, masturbating, etc.,
- are over the age of 18,
- are healthy and don’t have a serious illness (sexual or not),
after a gynecological examination, your gynecologist will decide if you are suitable for this operation and will start afterward.
Who is not suitable for treatment?
This operation is not suitable if you have venereal diseases or cancer in your genital area. Additionally, this surgery is not performed for those under the age of 18. Before deciding, it is recommended that you see a specialist doctor.
Are there any side effects of hymen reconstruction surgery?
All surgical operations have some risks. Your doctor will inform you about these risks. Causes such as smoking and alcohol consumption will increase these risks.
You may encounter the following after the operation:
- Post-operative swelling, pain, and bruising
- Hematoma and bleeding
- Coloring of the hymen
These side effects are common, if you have any other effect that you don’t expect, contacting the surgeon could be a good idea for further information.
Recovery after hymen reconstruction surgery
You will be kept under observation for a few hours after the operation. If no complications are encountered during this time, you will be discharged. After 3 to 4 days have passed, you can do your daily activities. After 10 days have passed, you can do moderate activities (light jogging, walking). But stay away from activities such as pilates or yoga that will cause stretching of the vaginal area for a while.
After surgery, it is important to pay attention to:
- The surgeon will likely begin antibiotic therapy to prevent any infection. It is very important to keep the vagina area clean after the operation.
- You could take shower after 2-3 days.
- You strictly should escape the sexual intercourse before 8 weeks.
- If you feel pain and swelling, cold compresses and ice packs are recommended.
Is hymen reconstruction surgery permanent?
There are two types of hymenoplasty. These are temporary and permanent. If you prefer the permanent one, it will stay until any sexual intercourse.
What are the alternatives to the treatment?
There are a few alternatives for hymenoplasty surgery. These are:
- Vaginal rejuvenation with laser : With this method, hymen parts torn by laser are detected. Surgical intervention is not required and the healing process is less painful and short.
- Vaginoplasty: In this procedure, the surgeon will create tighten vaginal tissue for a healed hymen.
These methods don’t offer an intact hymen.
Why is hymen reconstruction surgery preferred?
The hymen does not have to be torn only in sexual intercourse like doing sport or masturbating. In some cultures, the hymen is proof of virginity and due to social pressures having sex is not acceptable before a marriage. That’s why hymen is a sign of the first sexual intercourse and after the sexual intercourse generally seems bleeding. This is not an obligation and doesn’t have to be bleeding because the hymen has an elastic structure. Every single woman doesn’t have to have bleeding after sexual intercourse.
Obviously, sexual intercourse is not only a man but a woman. However, due the social pressures, some woman wants to take back their hymen. This is not a require, because of the health issue, women want to have this operation.
It should not be forgotten that women’s own preferences only concern themselves, that their husband or family cannot decide.
What is Hymenoplasty Surgery?
Hymenoplasty surgery is a special operation that can help some people. It’s all about fixing a part of the body called the hymen. The hymen is a tiny piece of skin at the opening of a girl’s private parts. Sometimes, the hymen can get torn or stretched, and hymenoplasty surgery helps fix it.
Why Do People Choose Hymenoplasty Surgery?
People choose This surgery for different reasons. In some cultures or traditions, it’s important for the hymen to be intact before marriage. Some people want to have their hymen repaired because it makes them feel better emotionally. It’s important to remember that this is a personal choice and should be talked about with a doctor.
Hymenoplasty surgery is done by a special doctor, like a gynecologist. The surgery can be done while a person is asleep or with numbing medicine. During the surgery, the doctor carefully fixes the torn or stretched hymen. They might use special stitches that dissolve over time.
After the surgery, the person might feel a little bit of pain or discomfort. That’s normal! The doctor will give them medicine to help with any pain and tell them how to take care of themselves.Moreover, They might need to rest and avoid doing any hard activities for a little while.
In Conclusion, Hymenoplasty surgery is a special operation that helps fix the hymen. It’s done for different reasons and can make some people feel better emotionally. After that, If someone is considering hymenoplasty surgery, they should talk to a doctor who knows all about it. Remember, everyone’s body is unique and special, and what matters most is how we feel inside.