How Long After Gastric Sleeve Can I Drink Alcohol The question of how long after gastric sleeve can I drink alcohol is often a matter of curiosity. There are many opinions on this matter. If you have had gastric sleeve surgery, you should not consume beer and acidic carbonated drinks for life. There is no harm in consuming raki and wine from the 3rd month. We recommend that you consume drinks with higher alcohol content, such as whiskey, brandy, and tequila after 5 months. You have to be very careful with your alcohol consumption. You may be more successful in losing weight if you don’t drink alcohol. Alcohol is harmful in patients undergoing bariatric surgery for three reasons;
- First reason; Alcohol has too many calories.
- Second reason; is that alcohol passes into the blood faster in patients who have undergone surgery. After surgery, you will get drunk sooner than usual and reach toxic levels in the blood sooner.
- Third reason; Some of the alcoholic beverages are in the form of carbonated beverages. When you drink the drinks, they both make you very uncomfortable and force the stitches in the surgical areas. It also causes the stomach to expand, causing a feeling of satiety later.
How Long After Gastric Sleeve Can I Drink Alcohol? What are the Causes?
If you’ve had weight loss surgery, it’s best to keep alcohol out of your diet altogether. Here are the reasons:
- You also cannot metabolize alcohol with part of your stomach removed or bypassed. Most alcohol absorption takes place in the small intestine.
- If you have had obesity surgery, you will get drunk faster after alcohol consumption. Because alcohol passes more quickly into the small intestines. As a result, in case of getting drunk faster, you may take actions that should not be done. Eating things that should not be consumed is one of the biggest risks.
- Post-surgery procedures that bypass the connection between your stomach and small intestine no longer interfere with the slowing of fluid flow. As a result, alcohol passes into the small intestines even faster.
- The carbohydrates found in sugar and alcohols disrupt your bariatric diet.
- Alcohol-related health problems such as acid reflux, gastric and esophageal cancer, liver damage and heart problems are at greater risk after weight loss surgery.
You can have a conversation with your doctor for the question of “how long after gastric sleeve can I drink alcohol” and other details? You can start consuming alcohol approximately 6 months after the surgery. But you should not forget that this will slow down your weight loss rate.
How Long After Gastric Sleeve Can I Drink Alcohol and Never Consume?
Of course you can consume. But only in a certain order.
Alcohol consumption is not a very suitable situation after bariatric surgery. Let’s take a look at the reasons together;
- The calorie level of alcohol is quite high. For this reason, high-dose alcohol consumption prevents you from losing the desired weight.
- It is harmful to the gastric mucosa and triggers overeating.
- You may experience ‘dumping syndrome’ because of its high sugar content.
- It can cause damage to your liver.
- In addition, it damages your brain cells.
- It causes vitamin and mineral deficiencies in your body.
- After bariatric surgery, alcohol passes more quickly to the small intestine. You also get drunk earlier and wake up later.
For these reasons, if you have had bariatric surgery, you should definitely consider the advantages and disadvantages when drinking alcohol. You should definitely avoid raki and whiskey, which have the highest calorie and alcohol content. After the 3rd month after bariatric surgery, you can prefer 1 glass of red wine in social settings.
What Should I Pay Attention To During And After Tube Stomach Surgery?
Some important points that you should pay attention to in the surgery are as follows:
- It is necessary to protect the 7 cm line at the stomach exit.
- The tube we call the gastric tube must be in the operation and you should apply stomach reduction in the control of it. If you don’t do it with this tube, there will be technical problems. There are strictures in the stomach or the stomach is completely closed. Then leakage occurs at the suture line and may result in mortality. At this point, leakage occurs in the stomach.
- Another detail you need to pay attention to is the importance of the material you use. Using 3 rows of staplers reduces complications. In addition, it is necessary to take into account the small cruvator angle of the stomach. In this way, the stomach is prevented from suffocating in the shape of an hourglass. Bleeding at the suture line and uncontrolled bleeding are the causes of leakage.
- One of the most important points in surgery is the apex, which we call the fundus. It is technically very difficult to make a complete distinction between the stomach and the spleen. The most important and dangerous leak point in the stomach is this part. Distinguishing this area properly affects the success of the surgery. The fact that the part of the stomach called fundus does not protrude at all or is insufficient causes the hormone ghrenin to remain high. This makes the feeling of fullness disappear.
- Patients should not be discharged immediately after surgery. If they are discharged early, the detection of complications becomes difficult. It may cause delayed intervention. This increases mortality and morbidity.
How Much Weight Can I Lose?
You start to lose weight slowly in the first 3 weeks and fast in the next 1 month. The full weight loss process is completed in an average of 6 months. In general, there is a total weight loss of 25 to 35 pounds. This surgery has no long-term harm. If you do not pay attention to your diet, you may have difficulties in losing weight and you may encounter nutritional difficulties. Weight regain occurs in patients who do not comply with their diet after surgery, who take high-calorie liquid food, and in non-compliant patients who cannot control eating. You can call your doctor for the question of how long after gastric sleeve can I drink alcohol and for other questions about weight loss.
Are You Thinking About How Long After Bariatric Surgery Can You Have Caffeine?
Are you wondering about “how long after bariatric surgery can you have caffeine?”. It is a perfectly reasonable question to ask. As you know, following a gastric balloon weight loss procedure as well as all other bariatric surgeries, your diet is extremely restrictive. The diet is kept in place to ensure that you can lose as much weight as possible. The diet largely consists of protein, vegetables, and fruits. You will also have to avoid carbohydrates and sugar, especially sugary drinks. That being said, in the first month or so, you will not be able to consume coffee, tea, or other caffeinated drinks. This is largely to ensure that you can heal. Note that in the first thirty or so days after surgery, patients’ diets are largely liquid based.
Another question often asked by patients is, “can I drink alcohol after gastric sleeve surgery?”. Alcoholic drinks are strictly forbidden for several months after the surgery because they can hinder the weight loss program. To learn more about the kinds of foods and drinks you need to avoid, you can reach out to a doctor before the surgery. You can ask questions like, “how long after bariatric surgery can you have caffeine?” and get even more detailed explanations.