In this article, we give the answer to the question of whether can you drink alcohol after gastric sleeve. You should not consume alcohol. Alcohol consumption is not prohibited after sleeve gastrectomy surgery, but experts do not recommend it. After sleeve gastrectomy, you should pay attention to your consumption of cigarettes, alcohol and carbonated drinks. Thus, you can get successful results. You should thoroughly research the hospital and your doctor for surgery. You should have sleeve gastrectomy surgery in a reliable hospital and operating room conditions.
Can You Drink Alcohol After Gastric Sleeve Surgery and What Are the Expert Opinions?
We would like to make the following reminders about alcohol consumption after sleeve gastrectomy surgery:
- You should not consume alcohol for the first 6 months after sleeve gastrectomy surgery.
- Even if alcohol consumption is appropriate by surgeons after the operation, you should stay away from alcoholic beverages containing sugar and carbonated content. Fizzy and high-sugar drinks are both very caloric and upset the stomach.
- You should consume as little alcohol as possible after sleeve gastrectomy surgery. Because after the surgery, the stomach shrinks and the effect of alcohol increases as the alcohol goes directly to the small intestine.
- If alcohol consumption becomes regular, you should definitely seek professional support.
Can I Drink Alcohol After Gastric Sleeve Surgery? Why Not Recommended?
There are different reasons why alcohol consumption is not appropriate after sleeve gastrectomy surgery. First of all, alcohol has high calories and is essentially a liquid carbohydrate. Therefore, consuming a few glasses of alcoholic beverages means meeting the daily calorie needs. Therefore, it is not desirable for both surgeons and patients to interrupt the weight loss process by consuming alcohol for patients whose main purpose is to lose weight.
Also, even a small amount of alcohol consumption in the postoperative period, in which weight is lost rapidly, causes a rapid decrease in blood sugar. Along with alcohol consumption, patients may experience undesirable side effects such as loss of consciousness and balance, slurred speech, decreased vision and confusion.
We can say that patients who had addictions before gastric sleeve surgery are likely to meet a new addiction in the post- gastric reduction surgery period. Also, you should know that the food addiction of many obesity patients around the world turns into alcohol addiction in the postoperative period.
In conclusion, if you want to open a new page in your life with sleeve gastrectomy surgery or to clarify your questions about alcohol consumption in the postoperative period, you should consult surgeons. Also, if you keep the frequency of alcohol consumption to a minimum, you can prevent the negative effects of alcohol.
Exercise After Stomach Surgery
A regular sports program under the supervision of a specialist plays a role in your success in your obesity surgery and accelerates recovery. However, it is not easy to adopt such a program for people who have not had the habit of exercising before. As you lose your extra pounds and do the exercises you love, it will be easier for you to gain the habit of doing sports.
- Although there is a special program for each patient, the following principles are important in doing sports after stomach surgery.
- You should never start exercising without your doctor’s approval. And you should tell him all the exercises you plan to do.
- You should start doing the exercise slowly 3 months after the surgery, and you should never do long or different exercises or movements with the concern of losing weight fast.
- The most ideal type of exercise for you in the early period is walking. You should take care to walk for the time and pace that your doctor and exercise consultant deems appropriate.
- After surgery, if your doctor approves, you should avoid abdominal movements and weight lifting.
- You should choose the exercises you love. You should try to combine the types of exercises that will improve both your muscle and bone structure and also increase your condition.
- Swimming and fitness are extremely ideal. If you have the opportunity to do these, you should tell your exercise counselor and create a program that includes them for you.
“Can you drink alcohol after gastric sleeve” surgery you should discuss the question and other details with your doctor.
Things to Consider After Obesity Surgery
Obesity surgery allows people who are obese enough to negatively affect their health to lose weight permanently. This is a weight loss method. In order to have obesity surgery, it is necessary to have some qualifications. Not everyone can have tube stomach surgery.
The primary condition is to have a body mass index over 40 or over 35 and have additional diseases such as diabetes, heart and blood pressure. For the surgery, the person should not have an alcohol problem and should be mentally stable. On the other hand, obesity surgery is definitely not suitable for children under the age of 11. The same applies to those under the age of 16.
If you meet all these age and other conditions, you can have obesity surgery. You will achieve the success of obesity surgery if you reach your target weight and get rid of existing additional diseases. In order to reach your target weight, the post-operative process is as important as the surgery. Therefore, you should pay attention to some points after the operation.
There are two important points that you should pay particular attention to: You should eat healthy and do sports. It is much easier to take care of them after the surgery than before the surgery. Because the stomach capacity is reduced with surgery. In addition, 80 percent of the stomach is located in the fundus part. Fundus is the part where hunger hormone is secreted. Thus, your feeling of hunger decreases. So it will be easier for you to pay attention to nutrition. In addition, if you do the exercises recommended by your doctor, you can drop to your target weight. “Can you drink alcohol after gastric sleeve” surgery, you should research the other details that come to your mind. Then you have to have surgery.
Can You Drink Fizzy Drinks After Gastric Sleeve Surgery with Sugar?
“Can you drink fizzy drinks after gastric sleeve surgery with or without sugar?” is a frequently asked question by gastric sleeve patients. Drinking fizzy drinks after gastric sleeve surgery is possible, but it should be done in moderation. While the carbonation and sugar content of fizzy drinks may not affect the stomach, the fluids can quickly fill up the smaller stomach pouch and cause bloating or discomfort. To prevent this, it is vital to drink fizzy drinks in moderation and alternate with other liquids such as water or unsweetened tea.
It is also important to note that drinking fizzy drinks after a gastric sleeve can be counterproductive, as these beverages are often high in sugar and can lead to weight gain. It is therefore recommended that individuals who have had a gastric sleeve opt for healthier alternatives, such as water or low-calorie sparkling drinks.
“Can you drink fizzy drinks after gastric sleeve surgery with caffeine? People who have had gastric sleeve surgery should not consume energy drinks or other caffeinated beverages due to their high caffeine content. Instead, consider switching to low-calorie options such as sparkling water or low-sugar tea. Your doctor or healthcare provider can provide additional advice on “why can t you eat and drink after gastric sleeve?” and what types of beverages are acceptable.